Digital Stroud
CONTACT US | SITE MAP | GLOSSARY | HOME
search  
About Stroud Living in StroudWorking in StroudGetting Here Key Landmarks Who's Who The Project Education
Key Landmarks Home >>   Key Landmarks>>   Dudbridge >>   Dudbridge Mill/Apperly Curtis/Redlers ENLARGE TEXT
Dudbridge  |  Dudbridge Mill/Apperly Curtis/Redlers

GRO Redlers IMG 0815
What: Historical Site, with landmark of Applerly's long brick building with circular windows on the roadside
Where: Located on the A419, between the Cainscross Roundabout and Sainsbury's
Then: he original site of Dudbridge Mill, c 1100s, then held by Gilbert Canis. Later it was owned by Henry Halliday in 1608. Then by Daniel Chance, who in the mid 1700s, owned three mills: one corn; one gig and a dyehouse with eight drying racks. In 1794, John Apperley took it over and for the next 140 years ran a family woollen cloth making firm. In 1933, this went bankrupt and the site was taken over by Redler Conveyors who manufactured conveyors, elevators and other equipment for bulk handling and for malting
Now: Manufacturing continued here until the late 1990s when it was redeveloped as a trading estate. Despite its small entrance this large site accommodates many local businesses and traders

Home >>   Key Landmarks>>   Dudbridge >>   Dudbridge Mill/Apperly Curtis/Redlers
Back to Previous Page
Print Page | Back to top