|In 1825, a Street Improvement Act was passed. Up until this time the vestry continued to have power and influence over the parish. The Act established a body of Commissioners - the Improvement Commissioners - with responsibility for the area of the parish which was within a one mile radius of the church.
In 1825 and 1826, the Commissioners began to employ people to create sewers and pave the streets. This was the beginning of the improvements which would improve the sanitation of the area. From 1833, streets were lit using gas lamps using gas supplied by the newly-formed Stroud Gas Company.
In 1856, the Local Board of Health took over from the Commissioners.