is first mentioned in 1550. Despite the opening of
the canal in 1779, it did not really start to develop until the 19th
century. The toll house and the present Cainscross Road were both built in
1825. By 1856, the town had several offices, 12 shops, a library, a bank and
The earliest buildings in Cashes Green were Springfield
Terrace built in 1882. Further housing was added in the late 19th century and
large house estates added in the 20th century. A brick Primitive Methodist
Chapel was built in 1901.